Saturday, January 26, 2008

Horror Movie of the Year

Far and away the best horror movie I've seen this year - in fact, in many years, is The Orphanage. I don't want to say anything about it for fear of giving away anything. But it is a staggering psychological study. There are virtually no cheap thrills, just a slow, mounting terror. It is amazing.

And while I'm on movies, I should list my favorites of the past year (since, for the first time, I'm not on any best-film or -script panels, so I'm not sworn to secrecy).

Best Drama: Michael Clayton.
Best Comedy: Juno.

What were your favorite movies of 2007?

Oh, and here's a great little real-life amateur detective story you might enjoy.

2 comments:

Aquaryan said...

Honestly, there are no movies that currently stand out that I have seen. I have been meaning to catch Into the Wild with Emile Hirsch.

I am not interested in There Will be Blood or No Country For Old Men.

I want to catch the The Orphanage, as well.

Jen Forbus said...

I also loved Juno. Haven't had a chance to catch Michael Clayton yet; I'm waiting for it from the library. However, I did really like Sweeney Todd and Charlie Wilson's War.

The biggest disappointment for me was Gone Baby Gone. Love, love, love the book. I also think Ed Harris is phenomenal; they just didn't do justice to the overall book.