Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Oscars! And the Problems of Hosting...

How many of you watched? If you skipped it, why?

How'd you think John Stuart did?

I think he's a brilliant commentator, but I think desk comedians have a harder time seizing control of the Oscars in all their unruly (ordered?) glory (Letterman wasn't as funny on stage as he is nightly smirking behind his desk). My favorite of recent years was Steve Martin, but I think he was too dry and smart for the average viewer. Chris Rock couldn't quite find his rhythm - he's the best stand-up comedian around, I think (except for maybe Sarah Silverman, whose Jesus is Magic strays so far into hysterical irreverency you can't believe how funny it is), but he couldn't quite nail the format. I saw Rock live a few weeks before his Oscars - he came into a small comedy club - a surprise guest much to the delight (and then horror) of Midwestern tourists - to work out his material, and it was excellent. He was more relaxed - he said he came in to practice not swearing. He failed.

I think the best Oscar MC of recent years is Billy Crystal. No one can compare to his blend of humor, schtick, and dance - he is Mr. Entertainment, and a true performer. It's such an odd skill set that makes the proceedings really soar...

Who's your favorite Oscar host?

2 comments:

Aquaryan said...

Gregg, Jon Stewart was sooo nervous hosting the OSCARS. You could tell right away. Unlike David Letterman who is not funny at all, John could probably do a much better job if invited to host the Oscars again.

Honestly, my favorite host would have to be WHOOPIE GOLDBERG!

I do not watch the Oscars, except for when the nominations get announced.

Chris Rock hosted the Oscars? I must have missed that one... I do not ever recall him doing it. hmmmm...

All is well with me, Gregg! Hope all is well with you and your family!

Take Care,

Kyle

Jon The Crime Spree Guy said...

I think Stewert did a good job. I think he might be too smart for a lot of the actors attending. I like Letterman ok, but you are right, he's better behind a desk.

I thnk the oscars need less singing and a illtle more time for these people to say thnk yu. It's eally rude the wa some of them get cut off. Of cousre many don't know when to stop so....

I keep swearing I'll neve watch agaib, and yet every single year, they drag me back in.

I did like all the hype about gettinginto the theatre. Make it for over thirty only and I'd go mor often...